Wednesday

"Understanding the Seasons of Life"

My guest blogger today is Craig Groeshel.

Because a pastor’s schedule, role, and duties differ from other professions, the rhythms of life should differ as well.

*Your rhythms will vary based on several things including: The stage of development of your ministry. For example, starting a ministry or transitioning a ministry might take more effort than other seasons.

*The age of your kids.

*The focus of your ministry.

I’d suggest that you embrace the season that you are in. (Don’t act like it is summer if it is winter). Here are a few of the ways I’ve embraced the different seasons.

In the early years of the church, I worked almost non-stop. Some might think I’m exaggerating, but my wife would tell you I’m not. (She understood and embraced that season as best she could with the promise of a new season coming.) Once the church was off-the-ground, I intentionally slowed the pace and arranged my schedule to spend much more time at home with our growing family. Instead of multiple short breaks from ministry/church, I’m now taking fewer, but longer and more restful breaks. During the first ten years of the church, I didn’t write books or speak at conferences. My sole effort was on building the church.

In this season, I invest way more time in developing leaders than in the past. With six children at home, I limit my travel schedule to about one night out a month. Once the kids are older, I look forward to much more international travel. Are you doing anything that is inconsistent with your season of life and ministry? Please share any seasonal rhythms that work well for you.

No comments: