Wednesday

"Accepting the Call"

Return to Home
Luke 14:25-33

Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to them, 26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. 28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it -- 29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.' 31 Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. 33 So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.
NKJV

This is one of my favorite text in the entire bible. Jesus is transitioning the disciples from following him, to being willing to die for Him. The relationship is about to change, and the requirements of following are about to be raised. Notice Jesus does not focus on the benefits of following Him, but rather the costs of following. Here are some things I noticed.

* In ministry there will always come a point of separation from those who are close to you because they do not understand the commitment to your call.

* You will face the test of family and friends, Jesus family told Jesus to go to the passover before His time and when it was His time, they questioned Him. His brothers did not believe in Him.

* Throughout the bible great men had to pass the test of the opinion of the family. Why? Because most family members are too familiar with you to see the greatness in you. They will many times misunderstand and misrepresent your call.

* I really struggled with Jesus saying that you had to hate your mother... to follow Him. He is not referring to the English word for hate, He is saying you must be more committed to me than even your mother.

* Why is it that the critics that try to talk you out of your call, are the ones that most of the time do not know their call. Maybe misery loves company.

* Jesus goes on to say that if you are not commit ed to the call, you are salt that is no good. In other words when you listen to the critics who want you to stay the same as them, you lose your uniqueness and ability to impact.

* Not everyone will agree with your call and commitment. The true test is can anyone talk you out of it? If they can, you are not ready.

* before you respond to the call, count the cost, lest you are not able to finish. There is something very negative about those who do not finish. Can you go the whole way with me? (Jesus)

* One of the ways you know you are really anointed is the odds are stacked against you.

* Who is your voice for God's will, is it people or is it God?

* You must be convinced that God spoke to you before you can commit.

Here is a final question to ask yourself. Is the person trying to talk you out of accepting the call life worth emulating. Do you want the kind of life they have. Usually not!

We see a transition from a call to follow to a call to die with Christ. Are you willing to die for Him/ Are you willing to ignore family, and those close to you when they try to talk you out of it? Tomorrow I will share a story of how my parents tried to keep me from doing what God called me to do. I knew I was supposed to serve my Pastor but they said he was brainwashing me.

Blessings,
Craig Sloan

2 comments:

Dr. Deanna DossShrodes said...

Oh my, my, my. I am just sitting here shaking my head at this masterpiece you've written, Craig. Do you know how many people need to hear this??!!

Although you obviously feel it needs to be said or you would have felt a burden to write it, I really don't think you realize the magnitude. You should write a book on this topic, and I AM SERIOUS!!!

Larry and I have made this topic one of our staff meeting teachings (one time) realizing the need but what and how you have articulated it is so perfect. This has the potential to be a book like "Armor Bearer" was...not tellin' you what to do or anything, but I'm just sayin'...

We have had so many staff members over the years who have been torpedoed by their very own families. Many times because people revere their parents so, they take their advice on ministry matters and usually (if they aren't called themselves to FT ministry and understand it) they give the wrong advice, leading to a very bad decision. When your family is unsaved you can more clearly see it because they don't know Jesus so you chalk it up to, "they are unbelievers so they just don't get it..." but when they know Jesus and are involved in church work but just don't share your same calling, they often question why, when, how, etc.

Several times we have even had staff resign because their mother/father/family members urged them to when God was not telling them to do so. Over stupid stuff that we as ministers understand such as...we ministers obviously "work" most holidays such as Easter (duh- of course!), Christmas, etc. Of course we do, these are Christian "holidays". But family many times doesn't understand that. We have actually had family tell staff, "your pastor doesn't want you to take vacation and come for Easter?! How unreasonable. You need to resign that church...they expect too much..."

Or, "you need to be in special services this week every night? Doesn't that pastor know you have kids? You should probably start looking for another church that is family friendly..." yada yada yada

And because Mom or Dad are long term Christians, deacons, church members, etc. they think this is perhaps good wisdom that they should take.

I learned a long time ago through both my own family situations and then dealing with staff in the church that we cannot go by what our families tell us because most just don't understand the call of God.

This is so good Craig. Please, I am begging you, pray about doing more with it than just a blog post.

Blessings,
Deanna

p.s. could I post this on my blog and use you as a "guest blogger?"

Positioned for Greatness said...

Deanna,

Of course you are welcome to use it. Thank you for your kind remarks. As I was reading this I felt I do need to put it in a book. Get ready, it will be coming!